Friday, January 13, 2012

Couch to 5K

So, I have decided to train to run a 5K.  I am not 18 anymore, so I know I need serious training, and a slow steady pace.
I heard about the "couch to 5K" program.  Google it - there are TONS of websites about it.  It looks simple enough, and do-able for someone my age.  Just what I need.


I bought some running shoes - figured out how to download my music to my phone - and then downloaded a couch to 5K app to my phone.  I chose this one.  It is called RunDouble. 

Today was my first day.  I overslept, and thought that my day was ruined.  But, then I decided to suck it up and go run anyways.  I convinced Aurora, our dog, to go with me.  I wasn't sure how well she would do - going on walks and staying by me is not her best trait.  But, after about 10 minutes, I no longer had to jerk the leash to get her to stay by me.  She was SO good!!!

The app for my phone worked amazingly well!  You start your run, it automatically starts your playlist, and voice prompts to tell you to "start your warm up" "now start running" "now walk briskly" and even tells you when you are half way!

I managed to do the whole first day, and I survived! :)

I think I will enjoy this.  It is a 3 day a week program.  On alternate days, I am going to make an effort to do some yogo stretching on the Wii.

I have already signed up for my first 5K.  My mom, and Rachel will be there with me, and a few other friends.  Even if I run part and walk the rest, I will be proud of myself for training and trying.

Wish me luck!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you Joanne! I'd love to do some running once I'm not attached to a baby {wink}. So, maybe that can be 2013's goal. :-)