I had a friend comment that she read my post about simplifying, but HOW was I actually doing it?
So, I decided to blog a little about it. Really it is not any one big thing, but a bunch of small changes that I think in the long run, for ME, will make a huge difference. I am listening to an audio teaching by Darren Hardy on the Compound Effect: how little changes over time, can compound and in 10 years have a 1000% increase for your life. Wow.. to think just a small thing each day, and the result - BIG changes.
1. I am streamlining the way I scrapbook. So, if you have a hobby or 10, maybe decide to put a few on hold for a while - to give you more time.
2. I am a VERY OVERLY detailed person when it comes to our finances. BUT, this was really hindering me - because I was super micro-managing every penny, and it was a daunting task, and then I would get behind, and then I would look at the pile to deal with, and ignore it, and then I would get more behind, etc... So, I did a huge overhaul - mostly mentally - of how I would keep track of things. WOW.. SO much better and easier for me!
3. Meal planning. The most dreaded chore of all - for me. I hate it. But, I realize that when I do not pay attention to this, then grocery shopping is more chaotic, we eat out more, which means more $$ down the drain, etc... So, I have decided to do better about making a weekly menu. I actually plan out 2 weeks at a time, and then revise as I go. I look in my pantry to see what I can use up, and then make my menu accordingly. It really does work well, and makes this dreaded chore, not so dreadful.
4. Cleaning the house. I did a HUGE purge a few months ago, and we had a garage sale, and NOTHING came back into the house. All the leftovers immediately went to Goodwill. And I do not want any more knick knacks and things to just take up space. This is the year of thoughtfully thinking about purchases - except for cute clothes of course!
So, now that I have purged, I continue to do so. I bet I make a Goodwill trip once a month, at least. Because we have less clutter, it is easier to keep up with cleaning. I don't have a spotless house, but I do try and maintain every day.
A good tip.. have friends over for dinner.. it will make you REALLY clean good, and then maintenance is much easier. So, you should have company 2-3 times a month to make this really work! :)
5. Laundry. As soon as my kids turned about 10, they did their own laundry, and we still do it this way. Just something to think about for those with teens that maybe are not helping as much as they should be.
6. The BIGGEST thing for me was simplifying my thought patterns/process. Do I really need to make "this or that" so complicated? or maybe I can just stop doing that altogether.
Would love to hear some of your thoughts and ideas about having a more simple life.. which actually will be more fulfilling in the long run.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I love cleaning out and organizing closets, drawers, cupboards, etc. One rule of thumb. Pick up one item. Look at it. Do I use this? Do I really need this? If it has sentimental value or useful value, put it on the "keep" stack. If the answer is no - is it trash? Quick, throw it away! Can someone else use it? Set aside for the Goodwill run. So, three choices: keep, toss, give away.
Once you have completely cleared out the closet, drawer, etc. clean the surfaces well. Maybe line shelves with new paper. Look at the "keep" stack and decide how best to store it. If it is used often, it needs to be placed for easiest access. If not used too often, place in the less accessible reaches of the area. Perhaps some new storage bins which hold only one type of item would be in order.
When you are finished, you should feel so much better and may even find yourself dragging others in to behold your handiwork!
With regard to meal planning, we wrote down a bunch of meals that we really enjoy eating on a regular basis (ie. spaghetti, garlic chicken, meatloaf, etc.) along with the ingredients and sides. Before we go grocery shopping, we decide the majority of meals for 2 weeks and then check with our list of meals for the items we need to buy.
Also, we typed up a document listing all the aisles at the commissary with main items in that aisle. We print a copy and this is our grocery list so that when we run out of things or are planning our meals, we just circle the item or write it in the area of the aisle that item is located in. This helps so that we don't have to zig zag all over the store and we don't forget things.
I follow a cleaning calendar and weekly chore list to keep myself from cleaning 24/7. Dividing the chores over the week makes it easier.
Try tackling a cluttered area for 15 minutes, you would be amazed at what you can get done. Set the timer and STOP when the timer is up.
Now that I'm home, I've started planning out meals too. Check out this lady, she plans out the whole month, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eek!
http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/2011/01/january-2011-meal-plan.html
And that's so true about cleaning more when you have people over. I always say that too!!
Loving the added tips! Thanks
1. How did you get your teen to do laundry? Mine will let it sit for a loooonnnnnggg time and that bothers me more than her.
2. OAMC - Once a month cooking is awesome and not as hard as it seems. Prepare your meals in a few hours or a day if you are baking and plan your sides.
http://michellan-michele.blogspot.com/search/label/OAMC
3. I have started to use a coupon planner from Money saving mom and I love the sheets. I don't do all of the housecleaning chores on the list but you can adjust it to your own needs.
http://michellan-michele.blogspot.com/2011/01/household-planners-organizers-and-chore.html
Post a Comment