Thursday, November 29, 2012

WORMS!!!!!

In my new venture to recycle more.. reuse things... I have discovered Vermicomposting.

Google it.  Fascinating stuff! 

Shredded newspaper + food scraps + red wiggler worms = DIRT.  Seriously!

So, I did my research, and decided that a rubbermaid bin would be the best housing for my needs.  A friend gave me some worms to get started.  Caleb helped me with this project.

First... shred some newspaper - LOTS

Drill holes in the lid and sides of your container... the worms need ventillation!

Add the shredded newspaper

Spray with water to moisten.

Add a layer of food scraps-  only raw food.

Add the worms

cover with more newspaper that you also moisten


place outside.
 
In 3 months.. you should have some good soil to mix in with plants/veggies.
 
I got impatient.. and after about a month decided that I needed MORE worms... so I placed an order, and 2 days later a box arrived:
 

I added my 2 POUNDS of worms... :)

Covered with more newspaper.
 
They are thriving.  Eating the newspaper and food scraps and in a couple months, I should have some nice SOIL.  I am amazed that God created worms to do this.  Just amazed.
 
 
 

2 comments:

Mom said...

I love that we both have a place in our hearts for worms! They truly are a blessing!

Unknown said...

Pretty cool. Matt Kerley showed us his worm box when we were over. Neat stuff.