Thursday, November 29, 2012

Compost bin....

I have been doing a lot of research on composting, and re-using things we throw away, that can actually break down and nourish the soil.... and eventually help a veggie garden!

I am turning our plot of urban backyard into a rural area!  I really wish we had farm land.. but we don't.. so I am going to make the most of what we do have!

Today I made my first compost bin.  I looked on Pinterest, google, etc... and found various ideas.  Asked friends.  Got more input.  Started saving food scraps... and yard waste. 

Then what to make the compost bin out of?  I didn't want to spend any money.  We have some old fencing, and also an old fallen apart picnic table.  A friend had some chicken wire.  Perfect.  Now, I just needed TIME, and a nice sunny day.

Yesterday, I knew that today I would have TIME... but yesterday was cold and dreary.  YUCK.  I told Robert, if the weather was nice today, I would make the compost bin.  Woke up to a BRIGHT and sunny day!!!! YEAH!!!!

Took a few hours.. had a lot of help from Aurora, the puppy.  :)  Such a good helper.

Here are some photos to see how I made it. 

First.. find a space.  I didn't want it to be in the way of where the kids play/hang out... so it is near Roberts shed... out of the way.  With plenty of room for a 2nd one next to it.

 
Took apart the old fencing, and used zip ties to attach to the chain link fence.  Had to buy zip ties.. and that is all that was purchased.  $3. 

Part of the old picnic table, is the corner post.

the 2nd corner post.  Robert asked if I wanted to use the post hole digger.  I said... Laura Ingles didn't have one.. I am fine just using the shovel.  :) 

Stapling the chicken wire to the posts.

I put bricks all around the interior edge, just to make it a bit more secure, and to hopefully keep critters out.

This side's chicken wire is folded down, so I can dump things in, and once I get a pitch fork, turn things over periodically.

All done.. and the first yard scraps are in.

Here are kitchen scraps that I have been saving up.... they go in next.

More yard waste on top.  4 trash can of yard waste.  I am pleased with how big the compost bin is, and happy for a challenge to fill it up!!!

My helper.
 
Project done.  I am pleased with the results, and proud of myself for doing it all myself. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Honey Did List :) Great Job Sweetie!!

Mom said...

Can't wait to see it! A lot of work and it looks like fun too!
Yay for you!!!